UVRC BOARD MEETING – January 14, 2019 – 6:30 P.M. – LEBANON CITY HALL
Present (Board*): Tim Smith*, Geoff Dunbar*, Rebecca Stanfield McCown*, Alex Hall*, Jim Burnett*, Mary Peters, Amanda Kievet*, Dorcas DenHartog*, Tiffany Currier*, Joffrey Peters*, Kristin Coats, Paul Coats*
First order of business, nominate a new executive officers. Jim Burnett voted as President; Rebecca Stanfield McCown as Vice-President, Dorcas DenHartog as Secretary, Paul Coats continues as Treasurer.
Next: Jim, recognizing Betsy Gonnerman for her service as Board Secretary
Review of Action Items from December 2018 Board Meeting
- Completed: Recognize Nancy Dunbar, Lori Bliss, and team for Jingle Bell Run 2018
- Forward: Scholarship Fund. Not funded for 2020 due to the cancellation of Foliage Five
- Scholarship has been successful for two years. Hope to continue in the future
- It is a good outreach to local high school runners and coaches, letting young runners know of club opportunities for running post-school.
- Tim pointed out that guidance counselors are a better resource for connecting student-athletes with scholarships
- Action Item: find a source of funding for next year (Dorcas and UVRC)
- Action Item: Dorcas will find someone to help her with this project
- Jim: recommends each board member have a particular project that interests them.
- Couch to 5k: Kristin and Mary are on for leading Spring 2019; Neither will be able to continue Fall 2019
- Action Item: court and train volunteers to take over C25K responsibilities for Fall 2019 and Spring 2020 (Kristin and Mary)
- Alumni C25K – Their goal is to run to stay fit with friends; they could be cheerleaders (‘coaches’) for new C25Kers
- Review: fee covers program fee + race entry + shirt and encouraged UVRC membership
- Suggestion: 9am Saturday runners come early and warm up with the 8am group, and a warm down with them after TNT to help bridge the perceived socio-emotional gap between the two groups.
- Action Item: create a Meetup email that includes the Saturday 8am and 9am runs and the Tuesday TNT runs (Kristen and Amanda)
- Membership: Action Item: goal of 300 members renewed by February 2019, one month before Shamrock Shuffle (Paul Coates and Alex Hall)
- Upper Valley Running Series (Geoff Dunbar): Feb. 3rd announcement of UVRS at RedZone 5k – Super Bowl Sunday, Dothan Brook Elementary School, Wilder, VT
- Thank you to Committee Members: Melissa Herman, Rob Daniels, Michael Musty, Laura Hagley, Judy Phillips, Rick Currier
- Action Item: Social committee will do something in conjunction with the RedZone 5K (Amanda)
- Action item: Online race registration for RedZone 5K ready (Paul Coats)
- Action Item: Website updated with the 2019 UVRC series (Alex Hall)
- NH Grand Prix Series: Jim and Geoff attended a recent meeting
- Eight races: includes two half marathons (Gate City Half and CHaD), and Shamrock Shuffle
- Encouraging after-race breakfast gatherings with the club members (Jim Burnett)
- Action Item: Recommend certifying more members to drive the (new!) van. April 2019 (Paul Coates)
- TNT Coach Search (Tim Smith)
- Pay the coach; use monies from membership fee increase.
- USATF Coaching Certification, 2 days, $200/course; next course offered in June
- Action Item: Form a committee to determine what our club needs to do to certify and pay coaches for TNT (Tim)
- Social Committee (Amanda Kievet)
- Action Item: contact Kevin and Nancy for recommendations; invite others to join the committee (Amanda)
- Saturday Morning Runs/Tuesday Night Track
- Mary Peters volunteered to lead Saturday Morning Runs through the spring
- Tim will continue leading winter TNT
- Dartmouth College Triathlon Club
- Jeff has more students signed up for the Dartmouth College Triathlon Club. In the past they paid $100/team to be UVRC members.
- Jeff suggested for 2019, $100/term ($400/year). Give students a code to sign up and sign the waiver.
- Action Item: Confirm the above fee and students’ registration and waiver process with Jeff (Paul Coats)
- Covered Bridges Half Marathon
- Start organizer needed with Kim Sheffield gone; Mike Silverman needs to know who we choose
- Responsibilities include: coordinate with timing, bus corrals, get volunteers to direct traffic of buses, and car drop-offs, and cleanup.
- Pacers are separate (Rebecca reminds us, we need more)
- Action Item: get Mike Silverman to write up what UVRC start organizer needs to do (Tiffany).
- Kristen: 1) CBHM fundraising non-profit teams: Haven Team, Positive Tracks, David’s House, Family Place, CHaD. Could UVRC schedule a free talk to incentivize these runners?
- Action Item: Ask Cioffredi if they would like to host CBHM fundraiser non-profit teams to talk on running and fitness (Paul Coats)
- Can we provide a free/discounted UVRC membership?
- Invite them to Saturday and Tuesday and Saturday preview runs from Billings Farm out and back on River Road
- It would not cost UVRC anything; similar to Dartmouth Tri Team discount; an opportunity to bring more members into the Club.
- Next Meeting
- Action Item: Dorcas will poll the members for the next date, place, and time.
- Agenda for next meeting:
- Review UVRC Mission Statement
- Review Action Items
- Forward to next meeting: new membership incentive ideas from Anne
Respectfully submitted, Dorcas E. DenHartog, Secretary
Next Board meeting: Monday, February 11, 2019 – 6:30 p.m. – Lebanon City Hall