June 2016 Newsletter

Welcome New Members! by Betsy Gonnerman
Coaching Tips by Kim Sheffield
The Running Man by Jared Pendack – the Valley News
Trains and Races by Timothy Paul Smith

Welcome to New Members

By Betsy Gonnerman

Lesley Hatch Cheryl Carlson Stephanie Pintal
Monica Descamps Jenny Albee Mark Smith
Zack Bennis Laura Petto Jonathan Epstein
Leah Eickhoff

Back to Top

Coaching Tip:

By Kim Sheffield

Here’s a favorite training tip I learned over time:

Combine your workouts into one. Variety in your workout can get you race – ready. Instead of focusing on one training zone, (speed, stamina, endurance….) try to incorporate some or all zones into a training session.’ Combo workouts’. They prepare you for race like situations and add some change to your routine!

Here are some examples:

    • 3mile threshold run (threshold pace is approx. 20-40 seconds slower 5k pace per mile) – Run 3 miles at Threshold pace; then take a short jog – recovery, regroup.
    • Then run 1 x 1600m @ 5k pace
    • Cool down.
    • 4x 400m @ 1-3 seconds faster than your 5k pace with 1:30-2min. recovery. (5k pace per mile/break it down).
    • Then run 5-7 minutes at Threshold pace.
    • Then 4x400m like above.
    • Then run 5-7 min. at Threshold pace
    • 4x400m like above.
    • Note: Switch it up throughout the workout. Fast running/ 10k pace running/ Fast running / 10k pace running.
    • 1x1600m @ hard effort (5k pace or faster)
    • Then run 20-25 minutes run easy progression run to a steady effort.
    • Finish with 2-4x 200m @ hard effort. (200m recovery b/n each 200m)

There are MANY possibilities to change up your workouts. Have some fun!


Back to Top

The Running Man:

Enfield Resident Rules CBHM

by Jared Pendak

Article written by Jared Pendak featured in the Valley News: http://www.vnews.com/Rich-Smith-2739535

Back to Top

Trains and Races

By Timothy Paul Smith

If you run long enough, something unusual will happen to you. If you wait long enough, you start to wonder if the event really was as bazaar as you remembered. Fortunately for me I kept a running log at the time, and even better than that, Runner’s World wrote a very brief piece on the event a few months afterwards, so I don’t think I am making this all up.

In the fall of 1983 about half a dozen young guys were gathered around a kitchen table discussing races and clubs when somehow we dreamed up the idea of forming the “Greater Eugene Track Club.” The name was unabashedly stolen from the Greater Boston TC, which in the pervious decade had gone from outsider status (compared to the venerable BAA) to luminary in the era of Bill Rodgers. Eugene had those sponsored clubs, which we all secretly hoped to run for, but publicly we looked down upon because we had been raised in an era of amateur athletics. It also had the “Backsider Running Club,” but could they have picked a better name?

We picked our break out race to be the “Civil War 50-Mile Relay.” Civil War weekend was when the two state schools, University of Oregon and Oregon State University battled each other in football, and then the next day there was a race from Eugene (UofO) to Corvallis (OSU). The race was 50 miles long, divided into 25 2-mile legs. Each team had 5 members, so we each ran 5 times. Race 2-miles, hop into a car, ride 8 miles and then start all over again. Repeat until finished.

As the day of the race approached our team started to disintegrate, but we quickly filled the gaps. We stole a runner from Kangaroo’s club and two more unaffiliated runners to form the team the “Greater Eugene Unattached Irish Kangaroos.” The name made sense to us at the time.

On the morning of November 20, 1983, 48 teams toed the line in Eugene and headed north. I was our fourth leg and by the time I got the hand-off the lead pack was down to half a dozen teams. I ran a 9:48, which I was pleased with because it was a PR. I was running faster 5K’s and steeplechases at that time, but I remember joking with Dan (GETC) and the kangaroo about that PR since I had not run a 2-mile since high school. This was 2 years post-college.

By the time I ran my next leg the race was reduced to two teams, the Jarheads and Greater Eugene. I ran a 9:42 (new PR!) and we moved into first. A pattern developed, in the first leg they would take the lead, in the second and third leg they stretched it a bit and then in the fourth leg I would catch them and by the end of the fifth leg we would be ahead. I was not our fastest runner, but I was paired against their weakest leg.

In the third cycle I ran a 9:38, so PR’d again. Three PR’s in a single day, I was having a great time. The fourth cycle was hilly, I think climbing up from the Willamette River (10:10) but the Jarheads’ lead was significantly smaller and I caught them early in my leg. We were all convinced that the race was in the bag.

At the 46-mile mark I got my last hand-off, and the Jarheads had only about a 60 meter lead on me. A few minutes later he turned a corner, looked forward, looked back at me, and started sprinting madly. I took this to be a desperate attempt to fend me off. But when I rounded that corner I realized that he was not sprinting from me, rather he was dashing towards a train! He crossed the rails as the gates were coming down, but I was caught on the wrong side of the tracks.

Seconds count, even in a four-hour race. The train was mainly flatbed cars full of lumber coming from sawmills in Corvallis. It was slow and long with its end curving out of view, and at the same time the Jarheads are headed towards the finish line. But every flatbed has a short ladder and so I try to swing myself aboard the train — which didn’t go so well.

My hands stung from that rejection, but I reason that the problem was relative velocities (yes I studied physics). So I set myself up on one side of the road and as the next ladder came up behind me I started sprinting across the road, parallel to the train, like the race depended upon it. When I got to the other side of the road I leapt for the ladder.

It was a jolt to the shoulders, but I was aboard. There was no time to catch my breath, not only were the Jarheads still running, but the train was moving away from the race course and picking up speed! So I climbed over the coupling to the ladder on the far side. The jump-off did not look very promising, but this was not a time to think. I leapt off the train and rolled down a gravel bank into a ditch full of water, half way up to my knees. It was forty meters back to the road and still another mile to my hand-off.

The Jarheads still beat us by a minute and a half.



I have always wondered how Runner’s World heard of this. Members of Greater Eugene and the Jarheads knew about it. But the train had passed by the time the third place team got to that crossing.

Back to Top

Comments are closed.