Board Minutes – December, 2016

UVRC BOARD MEETING – DECEMBER 18, 2016 – 2-3 P.M. – TIM’S HOUSE

Members present: Tim Smith, Dave Sullivan, Kevin Hartstein, Paul Coats, Geoff Dunbar, Betsy Gonnerman, Julie Paye, Megan Miller

Members absent: Jim Burnett, Mike Silverman, Kim Sheffield

Non-members present: Mike Gonnerman

This meeting was the last of the calendar year for the present board, and included the new members for the 2018 board.

  1. Board meeting schedule: After reviewing everyone’s availability, it was decided that we would alternate meetings between mornings and evenings each month. The evening meetings will be on Mondays at 7 at Paul’s offices at Lebanon City Hall; the morning meetings will be at 8 at Umpleby’s, in Hanover. Next meeting will be Monday, Jan. 16, at 7:00 p.m. at Lebanon City Hall.
  2. Board officers: The roles of the positions (president, vice-president, treasurer, and secretary) were explained to the new members by Tim. It was decided that these would be selected at the January meeting, as has been customary.
  3. Committees: Dave Sullivan suggested that the club may require more structure, due to its increasing membership. A discussion followed re possible need for more committees, or at least resurrecting ones that had previously existed – e.g. social committee, sponsorship committee, race committee. The problem of reaching all members’ interests arose and led to further discussion about the best way to reach everyone – e.g. message board, meetup, facebook, web forum.
  4. Couch to 5K: Tim had talked to Mary, who reported that due to Daylight Savings Time, attendance during the last month of the program really dropped off. Once the coach is determined for next year (Kim and Mary will be contacted by Tim re their interest/availability), the dates of the program will be decided. It was also decided that helpful information or planning could be obtained via a survey of past participants. Paul will conduct this survey.
  5. Other training programs: A discussion ensued as to whether we should offer other programs, targeting specific races, such as CBHM, which might include runs on the course, and include the pacers. We would need to find someone to serve as organizer for this.
  6. Information session: It was decided that we should hold an information session in January, for members and non-members, to review everything that is offered by UVRC. This will be done at Howe library on Monday, Jan. 23, at 7:00 p.m. Paul will coordinate the presentation; Tim will reserve the room at the library; Julie will create a flyer and contact listserve; Kevin will email the Dartmouth grad students. We may have a raffle, with the gift of a free membership being the prize.
  7. NHGP: Geoff, Tim, and Jim attended the NHGP planning meeting this week, where the races for 2017 were decided. These are listed on the nhgp website, and will also be available on our website.
  8. UVRS: Dave is working on this for 2017. Races will be selected, and an announcement will go out soon. It was very successful last year, with 56 people signing up for the entire series. 42 people completed the series by running in at least 6 of the 8 races.
  9. Trail running: Kevin asked about our relationship with the trail running groups. He offered to try to resurrect interest in trail running and trail races.
  10. Treasurer’s report: Paul reported that we currently have a balance of $4200, $1000 of which is new registrations since Oct. 1.
  11. Social Committee: In the past, the social committee has organized the summer picnic, the annual banquet, the pub runs, and the jingle bell run. Geoff reports that Nancy is still interested in helping out with the jingle bell run, but can no longer serve as chair. Julie suggested we might want to consider adding on more social runs, and she agreed to call Nancy to discuss. We will need a chair.

Minutes submitted by Betsy Gonnerman, Secretary.

Next Board Meeting: Monday, Jan. 16, 2017 – Lebanon City Hall – 7:00 p.m.

Comments are closed.